Average Speed Cameras *Update*
At the beginning of the year it was announced by the Lancashire Road Safety Partnership that eight routes across Lancashire would be installed with average speed cameras in a bid to reduce road casualties.
One of the average speed routes, the A6 London Road in Preston, went live in March, the A675 Belmont Road in June and a further two routes (A565 Southport New Road and A588 Head Dyke Lane) are nearing completion but no firm enforcement dates have been set.
Work is yet to begin on the remaining four routes (B6232 Grane Road, A682 Gisburn Road, A59 Brockholes Brow and A583 Preston New Road) but all are expected to be completed by the end of 2017.
Whilst work has progressed this year, some changes to the initial plans for two of the routes have been reviewed and will now be carried out.
Due to a temporary speed restriction implemented by Lancashire County Council on a section of the A583 Preston New Road, the camera locations have been revised and changes will be made to shorten the route.
Cameras will now cover the A583 Preston New Road (3 miles) between Wrea Green roundabout, through Kirkham bypass to Newton-with-Scales, west of Clifton.
Due to the reduction on the A583 route and a review of casualty data and feedback from local residents, the A565 Southport New Road average speed camera scheme will be extended.
The additional cameras will be installed in the coming weeks, extending the route from Mere Brow through Holmes to the Tarleton crossroads. The route will now cover 3.7 miles.
- A583 Preston New Road - Installation due to commence on the shortened route October 2017.
- A588 Head Dyke Lane, Pilling - installation is now underway.
- A59 Brockholes Brow, Preston - installation due to commence September 2017.
- A6 London Road, Preston – installation complete, cameras went live on Thursday 23 March 2017.
- A675 Belmont – installation complete, cameras live 9 June 2017
- A682 Gisburn Road, Pendle - installation due to commence July 2017.
- B6232 Grane Road, Haslingden - installation due to commence June 2017.