Average Speed Cameras *Update*
At the beginning of the year it was announced by the Lancashire Road Safety Partnership that eight routes across Lancashire would be installed with average speed cameras in a bid to reduce road casualties.
Three of the average speed routes, the A6 London Road in Preston, the A675 Belmont Road and most recently the A565 Southport New Road have already gone live. The A588 Head Dyke Lane route is nearing completion and work has begun on the B6232 Grane Road/Haslingden Road and the A682 Gisburn Road from Barrowford to Gisburn.
Work is yet to begin on the remaining two routes (A583 Preston New Road and A59 Brockholes Brow ) but all are expected to be completed by the end of 2017.
Whilst work has progressed this year, some changes to the initial plans for three of the routes have been made and will now be carried out.
Due to a temporary speed restriction implemented by Lancashire County Council on a section of the A583 Preston New Road, the camera locations have been revised and changes will be made to shorten the route. Cameras will now cover the A583 Preston New Road (3 miles) between Wrea Green roundabout, through Kirkham bypass to Newton-with-Scales, west of Clifton.
Due to the reduction on the A583 route and a review of casualty data and feedback from local residents, the A565 Southport New Road average speed camera scheme will be extended. The additional cameras will be installed in the coming weeks, extending the route from Mere Brow through Holmes to the Tarleton crossroads. The route will now cover 3.7 miles.
- A583 Preston New Road - Installation due to commence on the shortened route November 2017.
- A588 Head Dyke Lane, Pilling - installation complete, cameras went live 27 October 2017.
- A59 Brockholes Brow, Preston - installation complete, cameras went live 14 December 2017. .
- A6 London Road, Preston – installation complete, cameras went live on Thursday 23 March 2017.
- A675 Belmont – installation complete on Northern section, cameras went live 9 June 2017. Remaining cameras went live 24th November 2017.
- A682 Gisburn Road, Pendle - installation commenced July 2017 and is ongoing.
- B6232 Grane Road, Haslingden - installation is now complete, cameras went live Monday 6 November 2017.